PPIF was formed as an organization to foster brotherhood and cooperation among Indonesian students studying in the Philippines. Initially formed as Indonesian Students Union on September 30, 1957, it took on its current name of PPMIP on September 5, 1965. On July 24, 2011 It changed its name to PPIF (Perhimpunan Pelajar Indonesia Filipina).
The organization is structured to accommodate concentrations of Indonesian students present in the Philippines. It consists of a Head Office located in Makati, due to its close proximity to the Indonesian Embassy, so as to simplify communication and coordination between the chapters.
Five chapters have been set up, namely the chapters of :
1. METRO MANILA (Makati, Manila and Quezon City)
2. LAGUNA (Los Banos and Dasmarinas City)
3. NORTH LUZON (Baguio City)
4. CAVITE ( Tagaytay and Silang City)
5. CEBU (Lapu-Lapu City)Organizational links and tie-ups are present with the Indonesian Embassy in Manila. As the legitimate body to protect Indonesian citizens, particularly students studying in the Philippines, personnel with the Indonesian Embassy have been put as members of the Board of Trustees. Among them are, the Indonesian Ambassador to the Philippines, the Cultural and Education Attache, the Defense Attache and the Industry and Trade Attache